For years, IT teams have had no option but to use the technologies designed for single data center deployments to piece together their hybrid cloud data architectures. This has created a number of challenges, including:
- IT administrators being stretched thin, having to manually manage multiple tools and constantly copying data to where it is needed;
- Data security becoming at risk as copies proliferate across systems and locations; and
- Software licensing costs being wasted when data-hungry applications sit idle waiting for data volumes to be copied near to compute resources for processing.
All of these challenges have been compounded in high-performance data and primary storage environments. Adding any software into the data path between compute clusters or data-generating instruments slows down the workflows.
The Hammerspace Global Data Environment was built from the ground up to take full advantage of any hardware infrastructure it runs on. At last, a parallel file system exists that presents as NAS storage and spans across hybrid locations! This enables organizations to:
- Capture/ingest data as fast as modern instruments and high-performance compute clusters can create the data;
- Intelligently move data to applications for analysis;
- Provide high-performance, local read/write access to shared data for remote collaboration; and
- Retain data without unwanted duplicate copies, on the appropriate archive or long-term retention tier.
High performance starts with the metadata
Typically, data orchestration and data management tools are perceived as adding overhead and reducing performance in data-intensive environments. This paradigm no longer exists thanks to the magic of the Hammerspace architecture. With Hammerspace, all users and applications interact with shared metadata to ensure fast visibility to all data across the entire Global Data Environment.
Hammerspace ensures that data is placed on the correct storage, when created or when accessed, based upon workflows and/or business-rules. In this way it automatically aligns data placement to storage with the correct performance profile for the job, without interrupting users or adding complexity for IT staff.
“Data being consumed by both traditional HPC modeling and simulation workloads, and modern AI and HPDA workloads, is being generated, stored, and shared between a disparate range of resources, such as the edge, HPC data centers, and the cloud,” said Mark Nossokoff, Research Director at Hyperion Research. “Current HPC architectures are struggling to keep up with the challenges presented by such a distributed data environment. By addressing the key areas of collaboration at scale while supporting system performance capabilities and minimizing potential costly data movement in HPC cloud environments, Hammerspace aims to deliver a key missing ingredient that many HPC users and system architects are looking for.”
- Across Data Centers and to the Cloud: Saturate the available internet or private links available
- Across Interconnect within the Data Center: Saturate Ethernet or InfiniBand networks within the data center
- Server-Local IO: Deliver to applications near theoretical IO subsystem maximum performance of cloud instances, VMs, and bare metal servers
As a software-defined solution with a scale-out architecture, Hammerspace enables customers to now take full advantage of any storage and network performance, to optimize workflows and ensure high-performance data access at any point in the workflow. This is important because it means customers no longer need to overbuild high-performance tiers, or suffer delays from shuffling copies between incompatible silos when they try to offload to lower cost storage. Data can be created or used leveraging the full speed of the infrastructure provided at the server, in the data center, across a hybrid cloud, and across cloud services and regions.
The Hammerspace Global Data Environment finally has the solution organizations have been asking for:
- With Hammerspace, IT administrators can use a single solution to bridge existing storage silos to enable global data access, administration, and protection across multiple vendor storage types and locations.
- Data security is ensured by eliminating unwanted copy proliferation and implementing automated service-level objectives based upon business rules to globally manage and protect all data across any storage type and location for the entire organization.
- Data is globally available to any authorized user or application, on any infrastructure and in any location, anywhere in the world.
“I see high-performance access to global data as the next step in innovation for high-performance environments. The challenge of fast networks and fast computers has been well-solved for years but making remote data available to these environments was a poorly solved problem until Hammerspace came into the market. Hammerspace makes it possible to take cloud and data utilization to the next level of decentralization, where data resides,” said Eyal Waldman, co-founder and previous CEO of Mellanox Technologies, and Hammerspace Advisory Board Member.
Finally, you can manage your entire file data global workload in a single Global Data Environment
Contact us to set up a meeting and learn more about how Hammerspace can help you drive business value from your data and accomplish your digital transformation goals.